Sunday 24 August 2014

Ferments galore

A lot of summer has been devoted to a blossoming love affair with ferments. 

I made the usual whopping batch of elderflower wine made with wild yeasts:

I've experimented on fermented soft drinks with a home made ginger bug starter:

This is the ginger bug starter...


 Basically it's just grated ginger which you add to daily with more ginger and sugar which allows airborne friendly bacteria to inoculate it. 

It makes the best probiotic and naturally carbonated drinks for kids (and grown ups!). Think REAL ginger ale, REAL lemonade but all with the benefits of super strength probiotics!!

I've also fell I love with true sauerkraut. The best bit is having the heart of the cabbage all to myself when preparing the veg. 

(Such warm memories of mum giving it to me as a treat on a Saturday night when she used to prepare the veg for the next day's roast dinner!)


Here it is in its glory along with a probiotic pickle of red onion. :)


My favourite ferment of all is KOMBUCHA!!!

I drink it by the pint frequently. It's my daily beverage. 

I cannot make enough of the stuff so I've had to invest in further drinks dispensers since this pic :)


Last but by no means least is my sourdough bread. 


I don't have bread often but when I do it is home made with organic wholemeal spelt and wild yeast only. 


It looks so pretty too :)


I hope you look into naturally fermented foods. 

It is MASSIVELY beneficial for the immune system. 

One of the very best things you can do for your body. 


Toodles for now (or should that be, 'live long & prosper'?)

X


No comments:

Post a Comment