Sunday 24 August 2014

Fun n foraging frolics

As promised, first of possibly many backdated blogs as I browse through my photos. :)

A recent walk resulted in a beautiful little crop of rose hips and blackberries. :)


Not to overlook this wild free food, I decided to preserve it in liquid form. 

The blackberries were added to a kilo of unrefined sugar and a litre of water with some lemons and left to steep. 


When they had given up their berry goodness, I sieved through a cheese bag and bottled up. 

Kids are loving it as a cordial :)


The rose hips got the Second World War treatment...

I followed the official recipe issued during war time:


A bit of an ordeal to wash, top n tail the hips...
And to mince em...
And to boil em...
And to sieve em...
And to bottle em...
But it was worth it in the end...

Now what are you waiting for?!!

There's a larder out there, free for the picking!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment