Sunday 13 April 2014

Mosaic hall table top:)

Hi guys,

The hallway table is now very very nearly finished. 

To add to the previous blogs concerning its transformation, I have since added a mosaic top made with vintage pottery and a few synthetic pearls. 


Here is a reminder of how this unit originally looked last week:


Previous blogs detail the tweaks made thus far. 

This is the overall look of it now:


The tiled top was very easy. 

First, I unthreaded a few bangles and a necklace (mere pence from charity shops and car boots). 


I had TWO BEADS left over. Wow!

I used a no nails gun to affix them. 

When this was dry, I used tile nibblers to break 2 vintage plates (I chose a brown transfer to coordinate with the gold damask fabric) but kept a small plate intact for the centre:


I found it easier to use 'no nails' on the back of each fragment as it was placed in position. 

(This was infinitely easier for me than when using 'fix and grout' as I had previously.)

I kept the stamp intact as I like to see its authenticity on display just as much as I like the graphics. 

Then I left overnight to dry. 



The next morning, I cleaned up the tiles, grouted and polished. 

Easy peasy. 

The result is really quirky and (I think) pretty. 

Hope you enjoyed the makeover. 

All that remains on this project is to affix some kind of key hangers on the side. 

I'm still undecided whether to use bent spoons???

Toodles x 

2 comments: